Zucchini is one of those vegetables that seems to take over the entire garden. If you have ever planted it, you know exactly what I am talking about. We all have our go to recipes for zucchini, but you can only make so many loaves of bread or batches of muffins before it gets old. Recently I had a request for some different zucchini recipes on my Facebook page and I got to thinking about what else I could make to help my gardening friends use up all of those zucchinis.
Usually I am not that into baking and I certainly do not like experimenting with baking. I am not exactly an expert on all of the science behind the different ingredients, the ratios needed, and how they interact. Although, yesterday, armed with a GF chocolate cake mix, zucchini, and a sweet tooth…this happened.
I started with a GF chocolate cake mix. I happened to have Bob’s Red Mill on hand but I think you could try this recipe with any 16 oz. package of GF chocolate cake mix.
For the most part, I followed the directions found on the package. However, I did adjust the amount of butter and the buttermilk mixture. Adding zucchini adds a lot of moisture to the cake so I cut the butter and buttermilk in half.
Cream the butter.
Add the cake mix, eggs, and milk. Mix on low. When it’s combined, scrape the sides and add the zucchini. Mix until blended.
Add hot water and the vanilla extract. I was out of vanilla so I used almond which was yummy too! Mix on medium for another minute. At this point the batter will be glossy and well combined.
Spoon into a cupcake pan with liners. I got 18 cupcakes out of the batter.
After they are done baking, let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack.
Time to make the ganache. It sounds fancy but it’s easy….semi-sweet chocolate chips and some heavy cream in a double boiler.
When the chocolate is melted and the mixture is glossy and combined, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Then top your cupcakes with the chocolatey deliciousness!
Bob’s Red Mill Recipe and Directions – click here
This is my adaptation to use this mix for:
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
- 2-3/4 cups GF Chocolate Cake Mix (16 ounce package)
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract (or almond)
- 1/3 cup Water warm (110°F – 115°F…let your tap water get very hot)
- 2 large eggs at room temp
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (1/2 cup skim or almond milk with a splash of white vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use the mini because they melt more quickly)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (not the time to swap out for something healthy…you need the cream)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cupcake pans with 18 liners.
- Use mixer to cream 1/4 cup softened butter until smooth.
- Add cake mix, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and two eggs. Beat 30 seconds on low speed until blended.
- Scrape down sides.
- Add zucchini and blend until it is fully incorporated.
- Add hot water and extract.
- Beat for 1 minute on medium.
- Add batter to cupcake liners (fill about 2/3 full)
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Start the ganache when cupcakes are almost cool.
- Add cream and chocolate chips to the bowl of a double boiler.
- Mix until the mixture is completely smooth and glossy.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool slightly.
- Spoon onto cupcakes.