Here it is…another zucchini recipe for those of you growing it by the truckload in your gardens and for people like me that keep on buying it at the local farmers markets.
I have seen variations of zucchini pizza bites and they look good…in pictures. Essentially, they are little slices of zucchini with sauce, cheese, and various toppings. To me, that doesn’t cut it as a pizza substitute. The zucchini pizzas I have seen are lacking the essential component to a pizza…crispy crust. That was the inspiration for my Crunchy Zucchini Pizza Bites.
Start with a couple of zucchinis. This is a great recipe to use up the zucchinis and summer squash that are larger in size, but any will work.
Slice the zucchini into slices that are around 1/4 inch thick. (Trust me…no need to measure. Just make your best guess)
Make a breading station.
Start coating the zucchini and summer squash.
Repeat until they are all coated. No precise amounts or measurements here…just go until you run out.
Put them in the oven and prep your toppings.
After 7-8 minutes, take out the zucchini “crusts” and flip them. Time to start topping …
Then back into the oven for about 15 minutes until they look like this…
- zucchini and/or summer squash, sliced
- Beyond the Grain Gluten Free flour
- gluten free panko bread crumbs
- seasoning of your choice for the breading (I would recommend garlic powder or a garlic blend with salt and pepper)
- toppings of your choice - cheese, veggies, meats
- pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice zucchini in approx. ¼ inch pieces
- Bread zucchini by coating with flour, dipping in egg (let excess drip off), and then coating with seasoned panko
- Place on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 7-8 minutes
- Remove from oven and flip all "crusts"
- Top with sauce, veggies, cheese, and meats
- Place back in the oven for 15 minutes until cheese is melted
- The zucchini should be crunchy and golden brown
Enjoy this easy dinner!