Beyond the Grain Gluten Free is a company that I mention a lot on my blog because I really believe in and enjoy their products. One of the products they offer is a GF sugar cookie mix. While delicious, a sugar cookie sounds so plain…it is a cookie that is asking to be decorated, cut into a fun shape, or topped with something. How does adding sea salt and caramel sound?
GF Salted Caramel Sugar Cookies (Using Beyond the Grain Sugar Cookie Mix)
It starts with 1 package of Beyond the Grain Sugar Cookie Mix.
Follow the package directions. Add 1 stick softened (not melted) butter, 1 egg, 1/3 cup oil, and 1 tsp vanilla to a bowl.
Beat until well blended.
Add the cookie mix and beat until well blended.
The dough needs to chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. I wrapped mine in plastic wrap.
When the dough is chilled, roll into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Press the dough down using a small glass or your palm. For the salted caramel version, you also need to make a little well for the caramel. You can use the end of a wooden spoon or your thumb to form the well.
These will bake in the oven for 10 minutes, just until the edges start turning golden brown. Then place them on a cooling rack and begin making your caramel. The caramel is made of 1/4 heavy cream and 18 unwrapped caramels.
Add to a small saucepan and heat slowly, stirring until the caramels are melted and completely combined with the cream.
Before adding the caramel to the cookies, let cool slightly. You will also need some sea salt to sprinkle on top.
Carefully drizzle on a small amount of the caramel into the well of each cookie. Don’t add the salt yet or it will just sink into the caramel.
Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt onto the caramel of each cookie. Let set and store in a container with sheets of wax paper between each layer of cookies.
Gluten Free Salted Caramel Sugar Cookies Using Beyond the Grain Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Mix (you can use any type of sugar cookie mix or dough that you prefer)
- Beyond the Grain Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Mix (*or follow directions for the type you are using)
- 1 stick softened butter (not melted)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 18 unwrapped caramels
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- Make sugar cookies according to directions
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and press down with small glass or palm
- Use end of a wooden spoon or your thumb to form little wells in each cookie
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
- Place cookies on a cooling rack
- Add 1/4 cup cream and 18 unwrapped caramels to a small saucepan
- On low heat, melt the caramels
- Keep stirring until the mixture is completely smooth and combined
- Let caramel cool for a couple of minutes
- Spoon a small amount of caramel onto each cookie in the little well
- Let caramel cool slightly on cookies before sprinkling on a pinch of sea salt for each cookie