Do you remember when I said I don’t bake a lot? Well I don’t.
Trying out recipes? No!
Experimenting with baking? Never!
NO! Absolutely not to all!
I got my hands on some delicious, gluten free baking mixes from Beyond the Grain Gluten Free. Somehow, my tune has changed and I have been a little baking machine. Beyond the Grain makes a white cake mix. I don’t know about you, but I never get a craving for a plain cake. I will make a cake for a birthday or occasion, but for me, it’s not something that is ordinarily on my radar. While I knew that this was not just any cake mix, and it would be yummy on its own with some frosting, I had a another idea…an abundance of frozen rhubarb was calling my name. Rhubarb Coffee Cake? Why not? I thought I would give it a try.
Here’s where the madness begins. I started testing recipes…after several fails and many emails to Sheila (my baking guide and friend from Beyond the Grain) I believe that I found the right combo of ingredients. This very well may be the best thing that I have ever baked. (I should note that by fails, I mean delicious cakes that just weren’t what I was imagining. Yes, I tried them all. Yes, I threw some away. Yes, I have had to work out extra with all of this baking going on!)
If you aren’t worried about gluten, try this with a regular white cake mix. If it is for a 9 x 13 cake, just double the filling and topping.
This turns out to be a moist cake with little flecks of tart rhubarb. The cinnamon sugar topping adds a sweet crunch. The filling…no words to describe! Just try it out 🙂
Make the cake batter and fold in rhubarb.
Make the filling.
After cutting in the butter it should look something like this.
Put a layer of cake batter into the greased pan and add the filling.
Layer on the rest of the cake batter. Prepare your melted butter and cinnamon sugar mix.
Pour on the butter and gently tilt the pan to spread it evenly. Sprinkle on all of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Bake and then let cool.
Time to dig in…
Ok…no more chatter from me. Here is the recipe.
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Beyond the Grain GF White Cake Mix (click here for directions and ingredients)
- Your favorite white cake mix for an 8×8 pan
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (thawed if frozen)
- 3 Tbsp cold butter
- 2 Tbsp flour (GF or your preference)
- 1/3 cup GF rolled oats (not quick cook)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make the cake mix according to directions
- Fold rhubarb into cake batter
For the filling:
- Add butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats to a bowl
- Cut in butter until everything is combined and coarse crumbs have formed
For the topping:
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter, set aside
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar until combined
- Put just over half of the cake mix into the bottom of a greased, 8×8 baking pan
- Spread evenly and top with all of the filling
- Spread the filling evenly across the batter
- Gently add remaining batter and spread so that it is covering the filling as much as possible
- Pour the melted butter over the top of the batter. You may need to gently tilt the pan to evening distribute the butter.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top in an even layer
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 38-40 minutes
- Let cool completely before cutting or the cake will not hold together
© Jessica Hessler and Gluten Free Jess, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material (posts, recipes, and photographs) without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jessica Hessler and Gluten Free Jess with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.