Overnight oats have been a Pinterest craze for some time now. I hadn’t jumped on board…until recently.
Every teacher out there knows the feeling…the dreaded “Sunday Night Blues.”
The never-ending to-do list in your brain.
The anxiety of getting back into the swing of the school year.
One thing that really helps me with “back-to-school” is to spend some time each night, prepping for the next day. I set the coffee maker, pack any lunch or snacks, set out my water bottle, pack my computer bag, and make a to-do list (so I can actually sleep rather than thinking about it).
Going along with the theme of preparing the night before, overnight oats seemed like the perfect thing to try. With a 4 a.m. wake up, a crazy dog to walk, and a commute, an easy breakfast sounded like a wonderful way to start the day.
I spent some time reviewing different ways to make overnight oats and here is what I came up with.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats (gluten free)
Recipe (for 1 jar)
- 1/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup milk (whatever type you prefer)
- 1/3 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt (to make this dairy free you could use a dairy free yogurt and milk)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp chia or flaxseed (I used a blend)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
**If you like your a little more sweet, add some honey or stevia.
- Layer all of the ingredients into a jar or container.
- Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate overnight (minimum of 4 hours)
Enjoy! I will be working on more flavors later.