Gluten Free Crispy Chicken for Takeout Inspired Dishes
Takeout is tricky when you are gluten free. Many sauces at takeout places contain gluten. All of my favorite takeout meals have chicken that is coated in batter and fried…not healthy and not gluten friendly. I made my own version of a crispy chicken that can be used in takeout inspired dishes. It is a baked crispy chicken. I can control what other types of ingredients I add to the meal…avoiding gluten, fat, and all of the sodium that is often found in restaurants.
I used my crispy chicken recipe to make orange chicken…one of my favorites!
Start by cutting the chicken into small pieces.
Whisk an egg and some oil in a large bowl. Toss the chicken in the mixture until coated. Add baking powder, salt, pepper, gluten free flour, and water. Stir until everything is combined.
Drop the chicken onto a greased sheet tray.
Bake at 425 degrees. After 15 minutes flip the chicken. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. At this point it will be crispy and ready to be tossed in your favorite sauce.
I tossed mine with a store bought, gluten free orange sauce.
Serve with rice. This would also be great with a side of broccoli or some garlicky green beans.
Gluten Free Crispy Chicken
**The recipe is only for the crispy chicken. You can use this for sweet and sour chicken, orange chicken, or any other types that usually have a deep-fried, crispy chicken as the base.
- 1 – 1 pound package chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour (I prefer Beyond the Grain)
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut chicken into very small pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and oil.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle on the baking power, salt, pepper, and flour.
- Add the water.
- Stir until everything is well-combined and the chicken in completely coated.
- Drop the pieces of chicken onto a greased sheet tray.
- After about 15 minutes of baking, flip the chicken.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- It is now ready to be mixed with your favorite sauce.