Sausage and Peppers with Spaghetti Squash “Pasta”
As you may have noticed, I am a little bit obsessed with spaghetti squash. Searching for yet another way to incorporate it into a meal, I came up with Sausage and Peppers with Spaghetti Squash “Pasta”.
I started off with 3 bell peppers, 1 medium onion, and a couple of garlic cloves.
I found this natural chicken sausage with Gruyere cheese at Target.
Cut the sausage into slices.
This particular sausage was fully cooked so I just browned it in a bit of olive oil to get some color and heat it through.
When the sausage started to brown, I removed it and set it aside. Next I added a bit more oil to the pan and tossed in the peppers, onions, and garlic.
When the onions and peppers started to soften, I added the sausage back in.
I needed a tomato sauce for the pasta part of this dish. This is a great, affordable pasta sauce that doesn’t need doctoring up. It has lots of great flavors and worked perfectly for this recipe.
While all of the other cooking and prepping was going on, I roasted a spaghetti squash. Dump about half of the jar of pasta sauce into a bowl. Scoop the hot spaghetti squash into the sauce.
Add some shredded Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.
The “pasta” and sausage and peppers are ready to serve.
Put a scoop of the spaghetti squash on the plate and top with the sausage and peppers.
To me, this meal felt like I was eating something heavy and decadent when in reality, it was quite light and healthy.
- 3 small bell peppers – 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange
- 1 medium white onion
- 2-3 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 roasted spaghetti squash
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 – 12 ounce package smoked chicken sausage
- Roast a spaghetti squash (you can find directions for roasting here)
- Slice peppers and onion
- Chop garlic
- Cut sausage into slices
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil
- Cook the sausage for 5-7 minutes on medium, until golden brown and starting to crisp
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside
- Add little bit more oil along with the peppers, onions, and garlic
- Cook until the onions are softened and starting to brown
- Add the sausage back in
- Toss to combine
- Remove from heat
- Pour marinara sauce into a bowl and scrape warm spaghetti squash into the sauce
- Add cheese
- Toss to combine
- Put some of the spaghetti squash mixture on the plate and top with the sausage and peppers