Muffins are great for many reasons. They are easy to make, easy to eat, yummy, and they help use up fruits and veggies like zucchini and bananas. Overripe bananas seem to start taking over my freezer from time to time…naturally, that means…BAKE MUFFINS! Creating this recipe was another one of my baking experiments. I hadn’t made muffins since becoming gluten free. It took a few tries, but I came up with a hearty recipe that contains oats and applesauce.
Start by measuring out gluten free flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, gluten free oats, baking powder, and baking soda.
Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
To another bowl add eggs, vanilla, oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
Use a whisk to combine.
Stir in applesauce. Then add buttermilk and wet ingredients into the dry.
When combining everything you will also add some shredded zucchini or….
Spoon batter into 24 muffins cups.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
You can just grease the muffin tins, but the liners leave you with no mess. Plus, they are just adorable.
Breakfast, a quick snack, or a sweet treat…
Zucchini Applesauce Oat Muffins
- 2 cups gluten free flour (from Beyond the Grain Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light oil (canola coconut blend or other light oil)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini OR mashed banana (about 3-4 bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and oats. Whisk to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugars, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in applesauce and zucchini or bananas.
- Add buttermilk and wet ingredients to the dry. Stir gently, just until combined.
- Put batter into well greased muffin tins or use liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Check using a toothpick.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- This will make exactly 24 muffins.