Lately I have been learning about the ingredient carrageenan and how it may be something to stay away from. It is used as a thickener and found commonly in dairy products. In my grocery store, I was unable to find any brand of ricotta cheese that did not include carrageenan. Craving a bubbling pan of lasagna and trying to avoid this strange additive, I attempted to create a substitute.
For the lasagna, I started with these awesome oven ready sheets from Simply Balanced at Target.
To make my carrageenan-free ricotta, I combined Greek yogurt (Chobani made the carageenan-free cut!), parmesan cheese, mozarella cheese, and black pepper.
Stir until it is a smooth, combined mixture.
You also need to make a meat mixture…you can do this however you like. I used ground turkey, tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, and dried basil. Start creating layers to your preference.
I started with a thin layer of sauce and noodles for the base.
About 1/3 of the meat…
1/2 of the ricotta substitute…
Noodles…1/3 meat…other 1/2 of the ricotta…noodles…meat…parm and mozarella topping…
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until it is golden and bubbly.
Let stand for about 15 minutes before digging in…
Gluten Free Turkey Lasagna with my Carrageenan-Free Ricotta Substitute
- 1 package of gluten free oven-ready lasagna sheets (I used Simply Balanced from Target)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 – 16 oz jar tomato sauce
- 1 can low-sodium chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (half for ricotta mix and half for topping)
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup for ricotta mix and 1/4 cup for topping)
- 2 cups non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350
- Saute onions and garlic until soft
- Add in ground turkey and brown until fully cooked
- Add in tomato sauce, dried basil, and tomatoes (reserve a small amount of tomato sauce for the bottom of the lasagna pan)
- Set meat mixture aside
- Make the ricotta mixture by combining Greek yogurt, pepper, 1/2 cup parmesan, and 1/2 cup mozarella
- Start layering…see pictures for step by step
- Bake for 45-60 minutes