Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Banana Walnut Granola is the result of a snow day on November 10th. Winter in Minnesota has arrived in a big way…already! Due to the snowy weather and icy roads, school was cancelled, which means I had a bonus day at home to play around in the kitchen.
Start with a big mixing bowl and add in oats and raw walnuts.
In a small saucepan, heat the banana, oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and honey until it is bubbly and well combined. Then pour it into the oat and walnut mixture. Stir until it’s really well combined.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and put into the oven. Stir gently about halfway through.
While the granola is baking, chop up some chocolate. I used dark chocolate baking chips from Ghriardelli.
Sprinkle the chocolate onto the warm granola.
Gently toss it around so that there is little bits of chocolate all over the mixture.
Let cool completely and store in an airtight container…unless you eat it all first. I am warning you, it is not easy to pass through the kitchen while this is cooling and not sneak a bite or two.
Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Banana Walnut Granola
- 2 cups of gluten free old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cups raw, chopped walnuts
- 1 overripe banana
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp light oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine chopped raw walnuts and oats
- In a small saucepan, combine banana, brown sugar, honey, oil, cinnamon, and salt
- Heat until it is starting to get bubbly and is fully combined. You may need to use a whisk to break up the banana and get rid of the lumps. (I used a banana that I had thawed from the freezer)
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl of oats and walnuts
- Stir well until everything is evenly coated
- Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for 30-32 minutes, stirring gently about halfway through the baking process
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on the chopped chocolate
- Stir to mix the chocolate in. It will start melting right away.
- Let the granola cool until the chocolate hardens (about 1 hour)