Many of you know these treats as Seven Layer Bars. I grew up having Six Layer Bars…the Seven Layer minus the chopped nuts. This is a treat that my step mom, Kelly, has made frequently over the years and is one that I really enjoy! I haven’t had these yummy bars since becoming gluten free, until recently when I decided to adapt the recipe.
For the most part, I use the same amounts of everything as Kelly, but I have swapped some of the ingredients. The store I normally shop at for groceries doesn’t carry gluten free graham crackers. I decided that a nice substitute would be these Annie’s SnickerDoodle Bunny Cookies. These little cookies are so good and I find that they are more widely available. The whole bag is the perfect amount for the bottom layer of the bars. I also swapped out the traditional shredded coconut that is sweetened. These bars are not exactly healthy, and they have plenty of sugar. Instead, I opted for plain shredded coconut.
The first step is grinding up the bag of cookies into course crumbs. I used my mini food processor for this.
Next, it is time to make the layers. Start with a melted stick of butter. Pour it over the bottom of a 9×13 pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle on the cookie crumbs. Next, later on the coconut. Evenly spread chocolate and butterscotch chips. Pour 1 can of sweetened condensed milk over the top and bake.
When you remove these from the oven be sure to give them plenty of time to cool so they firm up. To make life really easy you can line the pan with foil first. When the bars are cooled you can pull out the whole pan. This makes cutting easier.
Once the bars are cooled and cut it’s time to enjoy a very sweet treat!
Gluten Free Six Layer Bars
- 1 bag Annie’s snickerdoodle bunny cookies (about 2 cups of cookies)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 oz. butterscotch chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Crush the cookies into course crumbs using a food processor or crush in a zip top bag
- Melt the stick of butter in a microwave safe container
- Pour butter in an even layer in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan
- Evenly sprinkle the crushed cookies on top of the butter
- Evenly sprinkle on the coconut
- Spread the chocolate and butterscotch chips on top of the coconut
- Pour the entire can of sweetened condensed milk over all of the layers
- Bake for 25 minutes, until bubbly and browning slightly at edges
- Let cool completely before cutting