After the holidays I crave foods that are a little bit lighter and filled with veggies or fruits. After eating big meals and lots of treats, it is nice to have some light, fresh meals. On a recent post, I reviewed a gluten free popover mix. To go with the popovers, I made a chicken salad with a little twist, smoked paprika. I stuffed this tasty salad into the popovers for a light, healthy dinner this weekend.
Pull and cube the chicken.
Cut apple celery, apples, and onions.
Add sunflower seeds. Make the dressing. Combine everything and serve!
Smoky Chicken Salad
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled and cut into small cubes
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1 quarter of a red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or a little more depending on how smoky you want the salad)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash sea salt (don’t need much…sunflower seeds and chicken are already salty)
- In a large bowl, make the dressing by combining the yogurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Pull the chicken and cut it into small cubes.
- Slice the celery.
- Dice the onion.
- Dice the apple. You can leave the skin on.
- Add the chicken, celery, onion, apple, and sunflower seeds to the dressing mix.
- You can serve this immediately. It is also very good after sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Serve on lettuce wraps, buns, or gluten free popovers.