I think that it is safe to say that we all like the feeling of a fresh start. However, I am not one to make resolutions specific to the new year. If you have made a New Year’s resolution, this may be just the treat to make sure you don’t let a craving kill your progress. Personally, if I am going to splurge on dessert, I will, but there have been times when I was trying to watch calories more closely. If that is the case for you, this is a dessert that should fit right into a healthy eating or diet plan. Working on this recipe also gave me an excuse to use my new food processor…
I don’t normally include nutrition information with my recipes, but for this cake I have included the info at the bottom of my post. This cake has no added sugars (except from the dark chocolate chips), no added oils, and no flour. Due to the use of beans, it does have a slightly different texture than a normal cake. It tastes like a chocolaty banana bread.
Put beans, cocoa powder, bananas, cinnamon, and eggs into the food processor.
Blend until it is smooth and combined.
Pour into a greased 8×8 pan and sprinkle on some dark chocolate chips.
Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy. It can be served warm or once cooled.
Here are the nutrition facts based on the ingredients that I used. I used MyFitnessPal to calculate the nutrition information.
Healthy Chocolate Cake
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (if you don’t like really dark chocolate, try 2-3 tablespoons instead)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 40 dark chocolate (60% cacao) chips – sorry for the precise number, but I did it for the most accurate calorie count
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put beans, bananas, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and cocoa powder into the bowl of the food processor.
- Blend everything on high until it is fully combined. I had to scrape the sides one time.
- Grease an 8×8 pan and pour the batter in.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. A toothpick will come out clean.