Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins with Applesauce…One of My First Baking Experiments Gets a Makeover!
My gluten free muffins were one of my early baking experiments. As most of you know, I just like to follow a recipe when it comes to baking. However, I did spend some time trying to develop this one. I do like the original recipe (Gluten Free Applesauce Oat Muffins with Bananas), but the muffins tend to dry out quickly. I have been thinking about reworking the recipe a bit.
I recently received feedback from a loyal reader that my recipe didn’t convert well using her flour blend. So, with thoughts of improvement in mind, I set out to rework this recipe. I am really happy with the result. This batter now makes 12 muffins instead of 24, they don’t dry out quickly, and they still taste delicious!
The bad news is, I still cannot guarantee that this recipe will work with any flour blend. I did attempt to convert my old recipe to be able to work with a common store brand blend such as Bob’s Red Mill. The results were not pretty. I have had the best results with the flour blend from Beyond the Grain Gluten Free. This is what I will continue to use in my recipes, and I would strongly suggest you try it. I have tried so many other varieties and this one is truly superior.
This version of my muffins starts with blending eggs, sugar, oil, and flax powder. I use the flax powder in place of a binding agent such as xanthan gum.
Once the wet mixture is blended, add in the dry mixture, bananas, applesauce, and buttermilk.
Mix just enough to combine and then stir in the oats by hand.
Spoon the batter into a lined muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Let the muffins cool on a wire rack.
GF Banana Oat Muffins With Applesauce (The Revised Recipe)
- 2 overripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp ground golden flax
- 3 tbsp light oil (I use canola coconut blend by Spectrum)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup BTG gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup gluten free old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl (separate from the bowl of your mixer) add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer (or you can use a hand mixer) add eggs, ground flax, oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat until fully combined. Scrape sides if needed.
- To the wet mixture, add dry mixture, applesauce, bananas, and buttermilk.
- Mix just enough to combine. Stir in the oats.
- Spoon the batter into a lined (or very well greased) muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 1 dozen.