You already know that I am crazy about granola! I have had a big bag of pecans in the freezer (leftover from Christmas baking), and I have been thinking of what I should make with them. A granola seemed like a good option. When I thought of the idea for a Pecan Pie Granola, I did some searching online. I don’t want to copy something that already exists and it also helps to get ideas. What I found out is that there are a ton of recipes for Pecan Pie Granola, but none of the recipes had ingredients that seemed to capture the real flavor of a pecan pie. I saw many with cinnamon, maple syrup, applesauce…what?? I am sure they are tasty, but they are not pecan pie. That is where I caution you…this is a little bit more of a decadent granola than some of my others…lots of brown sugar, butter, and egg. Trust me, it is worth it!
Start with gluten free rolled oats and pecans in a mixing bowl. I chopped the pecans roughly, as I wanted some big pieces in the granola.
Heat the brown sugar, butter, oil, vanilla, and salt on low. You just need everything melted and combined. You don’t want it bubbling or boiling.
Remove from heat and spoon some of the warm sugar mixture into a lightly beaten egg. This will temper the egg so that it doesn’t scramble. Then pour the egg and the sugar mixture in with the granola.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, let it cool, and enjoy! The egg and butter combined with the brown sugar give this a real pecan pie flavor. I used course sea salt, so you also get nice little salty bites to contrast the sweetness. Yum!!
Pecan Pie Granola
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup rough chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp light oil (such as coconut canola blend)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure out oats into a mixing bowl and add in the rough chopped pecans.
- In a small saucepan, add brown sugar, butter, oil, salt, and vanilla extract. Heat this mixture on low, just until melted and combined. It doesn’t need to bubble at all.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl. Spoon a small amount of the sugar mixture in with the egg and stir gently to temper it.
- Pour the egg and sugar mixture into the bowl of oats and stir to combine.
- Spread onto a lightly greased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper.
- Place into oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the granola about halfway through the baking process. Be gentle when you flip to get bigger clusters of granola.
- Let cool and enjoy!