I am excited about this recipe. I love buffalo chicken everything. Ok, I know buffalo chicken everything has been an obsession in the cooking world for a while now. I am still always looking for new ways to use buffalo sauce and blue cheese in a recipe. My Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake is a lighter, healthier way to enjoy the flavors of wings.
The ingredients are easy, but there is a tiny bit of prep work involved. The chicken needs to be cooked and shredded and the spaghetti squash needs to be roasted before you can assemble the dish. Other than that it can be thrown together very quickly.
Here are my favorite buffalo sauces for this recipe!
If you like buffalo chicken I think you will really enjoy this dish. It has the kick of buffalo wings, and a hint of the classic sides…blue cheese, carrots, and celery.
Start by sauteing carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a little bit of olive oil until soft.
Stir in the cooked, shredded chicken to heat through.
Pour in buttermilk and buffalo wing sauce. Add half of the mozarella cheese. Stir to combine and turn off the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken mixture with the roasted spaghetti squash. Spread the entire mixture evenly into a 9×13 pan.
Top with mozarella and blue cheese. Cover with foil.
Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until bubbly and starting to brown.
- ½ cup finely diced carrot
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (2-3 cups cooked chicken)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozarella (half for filling, half for topping)
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 5-6 cups roasted spaghetti squash (1 large or 2 small - this does not have to be exact)
- Before preparing to assemble the dish, roast the spaghetti squash and remove from the skin into a large bowl. (Cut in half, remove seeds, roast cut side down for 45 minutes at 350 degrees)
- Cook 3 chicken breasts and shred or chop into very fine pieces. I cooked mine in the slow cooker.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Finely dice carrot, celery, and onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a pan and saute the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic for about 5 minutes, until they become soft.
- Stir in the cooked chicken to begin heating through.
- Add buttermilk and buffalo sauce to the chicken and veggie mixture.
- Stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in ½ cup of the mozarella cheese.10. Add the mixture to the spaghetti squash and mix well.
- Pour the entire mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with remaining mozarella and blue cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil.
- Remove the foil after 25 minutes.
- Continue baking for 15-20 minutes, until the entire dish is slightly bubbly and the cheese is starting to brown.
- Let stand before serving.
*This post contains affiliate links. This means when you use these links to make a purchase a small portion goes to keep Gluten Free Jess running.