Dark Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Granola
Another Valentine’s Day has come and gone. Hard to believe, but this was my 10th one with Brandon! We kept it simple this year. One of the events of our low key Valentine’s Day was getting this handsome guy groomed. Yes, when it’s just me and Oliver, he sits in the front seat. And yes, his bandanna is wet, because he was trying to chew it off his neck.
I had spent some time this week getting all of my grad school homework done, which meant I could actually spend some time in the kitchen on Saturday. A little sweet tooth and ingredients on-hand led to this tasty granola. It is one that we can’t stop eating!! Just a warning…
Start with oats, cinnamon, and big pieces of pecans.
Heat up oil, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Toss this mixture with the oats. Lightly beat an egg and mix that into the bowl. Spread everything on a parchment lined baking sheet.
When the warm granola comes out of the oven spread on some dark chocolate.
And then some cranberries.
Mix this all together to coat everything with the chocolate. Let cool, and then time to indulge in this treat!
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/3 cup light oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, chopped pecans, and cinnamon.
- In a small saucepan heat oil, vanilla, brown sugar, and sea salt on low. You just want the sugar to melt into the oil. It will appear separated. That is ok!
- Pour the oil and sugar mixture into the oats and stir well to coat everything.
- Lightly beat the egg. Add the to oat mixture and stir in to combine. This will help make big clumps of granola.
- Spread the granola onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 28-30 minutes. Flip the granola gently after 15 minutes and then continue baking.
- Remove the granola from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Next, spread the cranberries on top of the chocolate and granola.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Gently toss around the mixture. It will be messy. This will coat everything with the chocolate.
- Let sit until completely cool and the chocolate has hardened.