I love going out to Thai restaurants. My favorite is a place called Hong Thai. There are two locations, one in Albertville, MN and one in Rogers, MN. They do not have a website, but both locations are excellent. Brandon and I love their spring rolls, curries, stir fries, and of course, Pad Thai. Pad Thai is my absolute favorite thing to order. I know it is an Americanized dish, but it is so delicious and simple! (Be careful to check if they use soy sauce or any other wheat products before ordering at Thai restaurants.) I don’t order Pad Thai often, because there are so many other delicious (and healthier) options to try. I have never made Pad Thai at home, but thought it might be a fun dish to try to recreate in a healthy way. So here you go…another spaghetti squash creation, and I think it is pretty tasty!
This dish comes together quickly, but requires several things to be prepped ahead of time. You will need to roast up a spaghetti squash, cook chicken, and prep all the veggies. It is easiest to have everything ready before you start.
Scramble the eggs and then remove them from the pan. Start heating the chicken and spaghetti squash.
Add in the peanut butter, lime juice, garlic chili sauce, and fish sauce mixture. Let this heat through all the way and combine before adding anything else. Stir in the carrots, cilantro, green onions, bean sprouts, and eggs, and you are ready to dig in!
- 1 large spaghetti squash, roasted and removed from skin (about 3½ cups)
- 2 shredded or chopped cooked chicken breasts (1½ to 2 cups)
- ½ cup finely grated carrot
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ can bean sprouts (you can use the whole can if you prefer)
- 1½ tsp chili garlic sauce (click to find it - I like this kind from the makers of Sriracha) **You can use more or less depending on how spicy you like your food
- 3 tbsp natural chunky peanut butter
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- Prior to cooking this recipe, roast a spaghetti squash and remove it from the skin. Also, cook and chop 2 chicken breasts.
- Combine the peanut butter, chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Grate carrot, slice the green onions, and chop the cilantro and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs and scramble them in a large pan. When cooked, remove the eggs from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a small amount of oil in the same pan on medium heat.
- Add the cooked chicken and spaghetti squash and start heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture.
- Stir to combine with the squash and chicken. Let it heat through.
- When the sauce is evenly coating and everything is heated through, add in the cilantro, carrot, and green onion.
- Stir in the bean sprouts.
- Add the eggs.
- Combine well and remove from the heat.
- You can garish with lime wedges, cilantro, and green onion
Enjoy this lighter version of a takeout favorite!