Life continues to be busy and crazy. I am trying to be disciplined and focus on getting through the last few months of grad school, but the kitchen is always calling my name. I can’t wait for summer when I am done with grad school and on summer break so I can really start cooking and testing recipes again. In the meantime, I won’t be posting a ton, but hang in there…my brain is filled with recipes that are just waiting to be tested and posted here!
Spaghetti Squash…need I say more? I love this stuff and I am always trying to find a new way to use it. My latest dinner creation with spaghetti squash is this bake using ground turkey and kale. It is savory, filling, and load with healthy veggies and protein.
To start this recipe, I roasted up 2 small spaghetti squash and removed the squash from the skin. I used a few big handfuls of a baby kale and spinach mix from the grocery store. I roughly chop this and set it aside.
In a large pan, brown 1 pound of ground turkey breast. When it is almost completely cooked, add in chopped onion and garlic. Saute.
Add in all of the greens and wilt them down.
Stir in the roasted squash. Then pour in some spaghetti or marinara sauce. I used a homemade sauce that my mom and I canned this winter. Yum!
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue baking for 15-30 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the cheese is brown and bubbly.
Turkey and Kale Spaghetti Squash Bake
- 4 cups of spaghetti squash that has been roasted and removed from the skin (1 large or 2 small should give you about the right amount)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 16 oz. spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 3 large handfuls of baby kale and/or spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 – 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (depending on your preference)
- Roast spaghetti squash and remove from skin (directions here). Set aside.
- Brown turkey in a large pan.
- When turkey is no longer pink, add in onions and garlic. Saute until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste at this point.
- Add in all of the greens and gently stir with the turkey to wilt down.
- Stir in the cooked spaghetti squash and the sauce.
- Pour the entire mixture into a baking dish. I used a 2.5 quart casserole dish that was a deeper style, but you could also use a 9 x 13.
- Top the dish with your preferred amount of mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes with the foil.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes until the liquid in the mixture has reduced and the cheese is browned. Due to the squash and kale, this dish does release some liquid. As it cooks it will thicken.
- When you remove from the oven, let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting to let the dish set.