Recently you saw a recipe post from me called Coconut Coriander Shrimp. The Coconut Coriander Sauce was from a company called Castillo de Piñar. As I mentioned in the last post, you are going to be seeing several post from me that highlight their amazing products. I have been particularly impressed by their olive oil and balsamic vinegar reductions.
I don’t know about you, but when I think of oil and vinegar, my mind first goes to salad dressings and marinades. Did you know that you can actually use olive oil in baking? For baked goods I recommend using Castillo de Piñar’s Virgin Olive Oil.
This little chart shows you how to use olive oil in place of butter. If your cake mix or recipe calls for another kind of oil, you can replace it 1:1.
If you are looking for a new way to use olive oil I suggest you give my Olive Oil Orange Cake a try! I made this cake using a gluten free white cake mix for an 8 or 9 inch round pan. If you use a different mix or a mix that is not gluten free I have some notes with the recipe for how you can make this cake. Castillo de Piñar’s virgin olive oil makes the cake moist and gives it a taste that is not too sweet. I use their Citrus Balsamic Reduction mixed with honey to make a beautiful glaze for the cake.
After the cake bakes it looks like this…not too exciting to look at, but it is full of orange flavor from zest and fresh squeezed orange juice.
When you are ready to serve the cake drizzle on the glaze. It is sweet and slightly tangy from Castillo de Piñar’s Citrus Balsamic Reduction.
This cake tastes light and not too sweet so it perfect for summer or after a heavy meal.
When making this recipe I urge you to try Castillo de Piñar’s products. Their balsamic reduction is one of a kind in taste and quality. (This is my own opinion and I was not paid to write this post. Products were provided by Castillo de Piñar.)
Enjoy and be sure to check out Castillo de Piñar! Below are the links for their website and social media accounts.
- Castillo de Piñar on Instagram – @CastilloDePinar
- Castillo de Piñar on Twitter
- Castillo de Piñar on Facebook
- Castillo de Piñar Website
- 1 white cake mix for and 8 or 9 inch round cake (I use Beyond the Grain Gluten Free Mix)
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I use Castillo de Pinar)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Castillo de Pinar Citrus Balsamic Reduction
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To a mixing bowl, add eggs, olive oil, orange zest, and vanilla.
- Mix until well combined. It will become a pale yellow colored mixture.
- In a small bowl add milk and orange juice.
- Add the cake mix to the egg and oil mixture.
- Pour in the orange juice and milk.
- Mix until combined and smooth. (about 30-45 seconds)
- Pour the batter into a well greased 8 inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 25-29 minutes until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. It may have small crumbs but make sure it is not wet batter.
- Make the glaze by mixing honey and the citrus balsamic reduction together and set aside.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Drizzle on the glaze just before serving.