My Turkey and Ricotta Stuffed Peppers are an easy weeknight meal that can be prepped ahead of time. The filling for the peppers is ground turkey in a sauce made with part-skim ricotta and Uncle Steve’s Tomato Basil Sauce. I have been testing out Uncle Steve’s products the last few weeks. If you haven’t ever heard of Uncle Steve’s you should check them out. It is available in many stores but they also have online ordering.
After browning ground turkey, add in Uncle Steve’s sauce and ricotta cheese. The sauce turns into a beautiful pink color. The Tomato Basil Sauce is sweet and has a flavor that is not acidic or overpowering. It is perfect with the peppers.
Each pepper gets filled with a generous serving of the filling and then baked to perfection.
The best part is that 2 peppers have less than 250 calories per serving and they are packed with protein.
- 8 green bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
- 15 oz. container part-skim ricotta
- 1 cup shredded mozarella
- 1 jar Uncle Steve's Tomato Basil Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water per baking dish
- Cut all of the green peppers in half, scoop out the seeds and ribs.
- Lay them cute side up in a baking dishes. You will need 2 - 9x13 dishes. Add water to the bottom of each baking dish to help the pepper steam and cook evenly.
- Heat a skillet to medium with a little bit of olive oil.
- Saute the diced onion and minced garlic for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat for 6-8 minutes, until you cannot see anymore pink.
- Add in the entire jar of sauce and container of ricotta. Carefully stir until it is completely combined.
- Lower the heat to simmer and let cook 5 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat.
- Fill each pepper with a generous amount of the filling. There will be a lot.
- Top each pepper with a little bit of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.