Happy Labor Day! Hopefully this means that you are off of work and relaxing today. I know that many of you are still stuck at work because the world can’t just shut down for a holiday, so thank you!! I am happy to say the first week of school is behind me. It is always full of excitement, stress, and pure exhaustion. To add to the back-to-school fun, the weather in Minnesota has been incredibly hot and humid. Of course, I work in a building with no AC. The students actually hung in pretty well, but it was miserable for us all. I am extremely grateful to have a 3 day weekend to recover from the madness. Overall, things went really well and I am excited about the new group of students I am working with.
Now onto this yummy treat I want to share with you! If you aren’t working today maybe you can spend some time baking up these Zucchini Oat Monster Cookie Muffins! These are muffins, but filled with all of the flavors of a monster cookie…oats, peanut butter, chocolate, M&Ms, and a hint of cinnamon. There is also zucchini added in for moisture, extra nutrition, and heck, I always just need more ways to use it all. Plus, aren’t they just cute as can be?
This recipe makes 12 muffins that are perfect for a quick snack or treat to satisfy your sweet tooth. Due to the moisture from the zucchini, the color from the M&Ms will start to bleed after a while of storing, so if you are planning to bring these somewhere I wouldn’t make them too far ahead OR you could skip the M&Ms on the topping and add more into the batter.
Monster cookies are one of my favorite desserts. They are sweet, but slightly salty from the peanut butter. If you are in the mood for cookies you can check out my Gluten Free Monster Cookies here.
Another tip for this recipe is to make sure you use a natural peanut butter, the kinds that you will actually find in the natural foods section of your store. I like Skippy Natural for eating, but it is just too thick for baking. To make these muffins I prefer something like MaraNatha’s Creamy Peanut Butter.
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour or ground gluten free rolled oats
- 1¼ cups grated zucchini, excess moisture removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup natural creamy peanut butter (I usually use MaraNatha)
- 2 tbsp mini semi sweet chocolate chips + 1 tsp for topping
- 2 tbsp mini M&Ms + 1 tsp for topping
- 2 tsp gluten free rolled oats for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If you are making your own oat flour put 1 cup gf rolled oats in the food processor. Process on high for 45-60 seconds to make your flour.
- Put the oat flour into a separate bowl and set aside.
- To the bowl of the food processor add zucchini, eggs, peanut butter, vanilla, and maple syrup. Process on high until it becomes a very smooth mixture.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to the ground oats and stir to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the food processor and process on high, just until combined.
- Add in 2 tbsp of mini M&Ms and 2 tbsp of mini chips. I just pulse them in quickly, but if you don't want to break up the chips and M&Ms you can stir them in.
- Grease a muffin tin very well with cooking spray.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin.
- Use the remaining 2 tsp of oats, 1 tsp of chips, and 1 tsp m&Ms to top the muffins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.