You guys already know I love recipes that are super easy. Even better…anything with a little Mexican-inspired flavor. I could seriously eat this kind of stuff every day. Best part…this meal can be made with as little as 5 ingredients. Perfect for these busy school weeknights! My advice…make this the night before or at least roast the spaghetti squash the night before that way you can assemble it quickly or just pop it into the oven.
Instead of rice, chips, or tortillas, the base of this taco bake is spaghetti squash. Roasting a spaghetti squash does take a little bit of time but is super easy. If I am making a meal with spaghetti squash I like to roast it the night before. That way when it is time to make dinner the following day I eliminate the step of roasting it and can have a meal ready in no time!
During summer I have all the time I want to cook and prep meals, but once the school year starts and I am back to a normal schedule I need meals that are quick and easy to prepare. This meal is also healthy and loaded with protein…22 grams per serving!
If you want to you can garnish the top with some fresh cilantro which tastes great and looks pretty. I serve this with a side of avocado and tomatoes. I also like to top mine with a bit of plain Greek yogurt which we always have in the fridge.
What are your easy go-to meals for weeknights? Let me know if you give this one a try!
- 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 packet of gluten free taco seasoning (I like Mrs. Dash because it has no salt added)
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican taco flavor)
- 1 large spaghetti squash, roasted and scraped out of skin
- 1 cup water
- Greek yogurt/sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle on a small amount of oil or cooking spray.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for about 40-45 minutes until soft.
- Scrape the squash from the skin into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until completely browned and no more pink is visible.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add to the turkey.
- Add the packet of taco seasoning and water the pan.
- Mix in, let simmer for 2 minutes and then turn off heat.
- Add spaghetti squash to the pan and mix everything to combine.
- Pour the entire mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with an even layer of cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.