It’s Monday again! How was your weekend? I was lucky to have a 4 day weekend thanks to MEA break in Minnesota. MEA has to do with a big convention for teachers so there is no school in the event we want to attend. Come mid-October when I am faced with the choice to attend training voluntarily or have a long weekend…well…I always take the long weekend.
Brandon and I spent the long weekend in Grand Marais, MN at a lovely place called the Clearwater Lodge. I highly recommend checking this place out. We were in a cozy little cabin right on Clearwater Lake. Some friends of ours were in another cabin and we spent the weekend hiking, walking, eating, and relaxing. We were on a mission to see a moose…that never happened, but we did almost make it to the Canadian border on a hike. There is absolutely no phone service there and I had no internet access. It was great to be “off the grid” for a few days and just enjoy nature and the people (and dogs) I was with.
The weather in northern MN along the Boundary Waters and Gunflint Trail is quite chilly this time of year. Perfect weather for being outside though…and the best part…no bugs!
Since I have neglected sharing recipes with you all weekend I have a good one for you today! Roasted Acorn Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon…there is no kidding around with this side dish. There are a ton of a healthy veggies, but there is also a TON of bacon.
The acorn squash soaks up all the bacon flavor and the Brussels sprouts get nice and crispy. I am pretty certain you won’t be disappointed.
- 1 acorn squash - peeled, seeds removed, and cubed
- 20-25 Brussels sprouts - halved
- 12 oz. thick cut applewood smoked bacon
- salt and pepper to taste (I would go light on the salt because the bacon is salty and a little heavier on the black pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the halved Brussels sprouts and acorn squash cubes on an ungreased sheet tray.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and spread evenly throughout the tray.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 60 minutes.
- After 20 minutes give the veggies and bacon a stir.
- Turn veggies and bacon every 10-15 minutes until bacon is desired crispness and veggies are tender.
Hope you have a wonderful week! In the meantime, Oliver and I will both be wishing we could head back to the lake!