Hard to believe that it is already Thanksgiving tomorrow! This year we have a pretty laid back Thanksgiving because my mom and stepdad are going to be out of town. Instead of our usual 3 stops, we will only have 2…Brandon’s parents and my dad and stepmom’s. I also have family in town from Colorado so I will get to spend time with them on Friday. What are your plans for Turkey Day?
If you are looking for a last minute side dish my Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon and Apples may be just the thing! I used a boxed cornbread stuffing from Glutino. It is already seasoned so all that is left to do is cook some bacon, chop veggies, and throw it all in the oven.
Now I love my mom’s basic stuffing with celery and onion, but this is just a little twist if you are feeling like something different.
The bacon adds a little saltiness and a smoky flavor and the apples add a sweet crunch.
What are your favorite Thanksgiving sides?
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 small honeycrisp apple, cut into small cubes
- 5 slices thick cut, smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 - 8 oz box cornbread stuffing
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep veggies and set aside.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and cook in a frying pan until crisp.
- Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Reserve 1 tbsp of the bacon grease in the pan. Add 2 tbsp butter and heat to medium.
- Add the onions, celery, and apples to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes until onions start to look soft.
- Remove from heat and add to a large mixing bowl with cornbread stuffing.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock to the bowl and stir to combine. If it still looks too dry you can add a little bit more stock or water.
- Place to stuffing into a 2.5 quart greased baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the top start to look brown and crisp. You can adjust the time based on your desired crispness.