Hey everyone! How are you? Getting in the holiday spirit? I am a bit Christmas obsessed this year. I waited until the day after Thanksgiving to put up my tree although I wanted to about a month before. I have been listening to Christmas music constantly. There is just something so warm and cozy about the lights on the tree each night and the thoughts of gathering, eating, and celebrating with everyone. During the holidays I try not to go too overboard with the treats, but it does seem like the right time of year for a bit of indulgence. My Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast Bake is just the breakfast for the holiday season.
Growing up, I LOVED brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal, PopTarts, and Toaster Strudels. I still love the flavors of brown sugar and cinnamon together, but try to opt for something homemade these days.
This french toast bake has a few steps, but none are difficult. The ingredients are all basics that you probably have in the fridge and pantry.
As if a french toast bake isn’t yummy enough on it’s own loaded with a brown sugar cinnamon custard, I add a little bit of a cinnamon glaze to the top. It is that final touch that really makes this dish.
If you need a breakfast to impress guests or you just want to enjoy a little brown sugar cinnamon goodness, this is the thing to make.
- 12 oz (12 slices) gluten free bread (should be slightly dry, not too fresh)
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Add milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar to the eggs. Whisk the custard until combined.
- Cube the bread and add to the custard. Toss to coat.
- Let the bread soak in the custard for about 10 minutes.
- While the bread is soaking, make the brown sugar swirl.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish and pour the bread and custard mixture into the dish.
- Drizzle the brown sugar swirl over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While the french toast is baking, make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, milk, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Remove the bake from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle on the glaze and serve.