Meal Prep Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
Monday is here again and it is time for me to get myself back to work! During this long break for Christmas I tried to prep some different meals and ingredients that will make cooking easier in the weeks ahead. Meal prep is something that takes some time and planning, but makes cooking and preparing healthy meals SO much less stressful. I love opening my freezer and seeing a bunch of meals, ingredients, and even desserts ready to go for when I need them.
One of my meal prep secrets is frozen turkey breast. Whenever I see them on sale I buy a couple and then thaw them out prior to a long weekend when I know I will have time to cook. Bone-in turkey breast cook way faster than a whole turkey and are easier to shred up.
My meal prep turkey is as easy as thawing it, adding some spices, and turning on the slow cooker. Can I just say that raw meat is not cute and does not photograph well?
Once the turkey is fully cooked remove if from the slow cooker and shred off the meat. You are left with a big pile of shredded white meat and a pile of what I call the “yucky stuff.” Very technical cooking terminology, I know.
The turkey breast that I cooked this time gave me about 6 cups of shredded meat. I store it in labeled glass containers to use in future meals.
Some ideas for using this turkey are:
- Tacos – thaw and make with taco seasoning instead of ground meat
- Replace the ground meat in my 5 Ingredient Taco Bake or Turkey and Kale Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Make barbecue pulled turkey using my Grandma Edie’s Famous Barbecue Sauce
- Use in my Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake
Enjoy! Have a great week!
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5-7 pounds)
- 1 orange
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- extra virgin olive oil
- Place a fully thawed bone-in turkey breast in the slow cooker. (After thawing my turkey I rinsed it and let it dry out in the fridge overnight)
- Pour ¼ cup water in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cut the orange and onion in large pieces. Place in the turkey and in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the bay leaf in the slow cooker.
- Combine the other spices and sprinkle over the whole turkey breast.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours until you have a temperature reading of 170 degrees in the thickest part of the turkey.
- Shred, let cool, and place in freezer safe containers or bags to use for other meals.