Happy Friday! As you can tell…my buffalo chicken flavor addiction continues…and I am not sorry about it. Buffalo sauce is just so good. I can’t help it. On Gluten Free Jess you have seen Buffalo Chicken Chili, Buffalo Blue Cheese Hummus, and Buffalo Chicken Nachos. I am sure that’s just the beginning of quite the collection.
It’s not horrible outside here, but it’s definitely not warm out. This soup is the perfect thing to warm you up. You can make the whole thing on the stove in about an hour. Maybe too much time for a weeknight, but definitely doable on a weekend. Usually I am only cooking for 2 and a big batch of soup is too much food. I just freeze half of it right away and then we have an easy dinner on hand some night later on.
This soup isn’t overly spicy for those of you who don’t like too much heat. The potatoes, sweet corn, and blue cheese crumbles cool down the heat. You can also control the heat factor based on what type of hot sauce you use or adjusting the amount to taste. That being said, if you like things spicier…go nuts and add some more sauce. Personally, I would recommend using Texas Pete’s. I like the flavor of their buffalo sauce the best, but there are plenty of good options out there.
Do you have any major plans for Valentine’s Day this weekend? If you are staying in you could cook this soup with your sweetie. I mean, that wouldn’t work in my kitchen. Ask Brandon…when I am in the cooking zone I want him out of there. Not too Valentine-y of mean, I know. We usually don’t exchange gifts and it is so busy to go out to eat anywhere so I think Brandon and I will end up making some sort of surf and turf type meal and hanging out at home…away from the love struck crowds. What about you?
Have a wonderful weekend!
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2½ cups red potatoes, skin on, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded or diced into small pieces
- ½ cup buffalo style hot sauce
- 1 cup half and half
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- crumbled blue cheese
- sliced green onions
- Heat a large pot to medium and add butter.
- Saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic for 3-4 minutes in the butter.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (go light on the salt because hot sauce is very salty)
- Add smoked paprika and stir into veggies.
- Add diced chicken, chicken broth, and water.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Add potatoes and cover the pot.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover and add buffalo sauce and half and half.
- Bring soup back to a simmer and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen corn and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Top with sliced green onions and crumbled blue cheese.