Well here I go again with the buffalo chicken…you should know by now I just can’t help myself! This is a lightened up chicken salad as the main dressing ingredient is Greek yogurt. All the flavors that go with buffalo wings are packed into this recipe…carrots, celery, wing sauce, and of course, some blue cheese!
I love chicken salad. It is great for a light dinner or for packing in my lunchbox. The day I made this we enjoyed the salad on a gluten free bagel from Sweet Note Bakery. The next day, Brandon and I both packed this yummy chicken salad for lunch. I had mine with crackers and I think Brandon just ate his.
Buffalo Chicken Salad tastes like you are eating something indulgent and maybe not that healthy, but it is loaded with fresh veggies and protein-packed chicken. The sauce only has a small amount of mayo for creaminess…otherwise it is just Greek yogurt and hot sauce.
Whether or not you add blue or Gorgonzola cheese is up to you. I honestly have not seen a clear answer on whether or not these cheeses are gluten free. They don’t seem to bother me, but I have heard of people with Celiac’s reacting to them. What are your thoughts on this? If you want you could sub in a different type of cheese or maybe add a little bit of your favorite ranch dressing in place of the mayo.
You can definitely make this recipe anytime! It is quick to make and great for meal prepping. It is also one I am going to keep in mind as spring and summer approach…I am thinking this could be great for picnics or potlucks!
Hope you have a great day! Halfway through the week!!
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup crumbled blue or Gorgonzola cheese
- Shred rotisserie chicken and cut into small pieces.
- Chop celery, onion, and carrot. Slice green onions.
- To a mixing bowl, add yogurt, mayo, wing sauce, and garlic powder. Mix until combined.
- Add chicken, celery, onion, carrot, green onion, and cheese to the dressing.
- Mix until combined and all ingredients are coated.
- Serve on a sandwich, in a wrap, or with crackers.
*You can season with salt and pepper to taste. I do not salt this recipe because I find that buffalo wing sauce and rotisserie chicken are both very salty already.