It’s May already! This spring has been flying by and the weather is finally warming up. With spring comes lots of gatherings with friends and family. Of course we all have our go-to dishes to bring to these gatherings, but it is also nice to change things up sometimes. I think that this Bacon Blue Cheese Quinoa Salad may become a new favorite of yours. It is hard to go wrong with the bacon and blue cheese combo…it’s bound to be a hit with your friends and family!
What I love about this salad is that while it has decadent ingredients like bacon and blue cheese, it actually tastes light and refreshing. Organic Tri Color Qunioa from Bob’s Red Mill is the base of this salad. You can use any qunioa, but the tri color quinoa is beautiful and elevates the look of the dish.
The dressing is not heavy at all and the salad is loaded with amazing texture and flavor. Crunchy walnuts. Creamy blue cheese. Crisp, fresh greens. Smoky, salty bacon.
You could make this quinoa salad for an upcoming barbecue, a side dish with dinner, or even for a Mother’s Day brunch! It is hearty and filling on it’s own too!
Have a wonderful week! Don’t forget to tag @glutenfreejessblog on IG if you make this recipe!
- juice of 1 lemon (approx 3-4 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp grainy dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup dry)
- 8 oz. thick cut smoked bacon
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 2 cups mixed greens or arugula
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. You will cook 1 cup of quinoa in order to get about 3 cups cooked for the salad.
- To cook the bacon, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes or until it reaches your desired crispness.
- Remove bacon from the oven and drain on paper towels. Chop into small pieces.
- Add chopped walnuts to a skillet and heat to medium. Toast for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally and watch the coloring of the walnuts so they do not burn. When you can start to smell the walnuts toasting they can be removed from the heat.
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, oil, honey, salt, and pepper in the bottom of your salad bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the dressing and toss to combine.
- Add the bacon, blue cheese, and walnuts. Stir until well combined.
- Gently fold in the mixed greens and serve.
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All thoughts, opinions, recipes, and photography are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Gluten Free Jess possible!