Happy Sunday!! How was your weekend? Mine was super busy and filled with diapers, cuddles, visitors, a bridal shower, and taking care of Oliver who is struggling with hot spots. The dreaded cone of shame is out and he is one unhappy puppy. I still have to sneak my blogging time in and it is pretty minimal. Just when I think I am ready to test a recipe, take a photo, or start typing, my little sunshine seems to need me or Oliver wants some attention. Being super busy with a new baby has made it impossible for me to have a garden or hit up the farmers market weekly like I used to do. What has saved me is our weekly CSA share. Every Wednesday my husband picks up our box and we have fresh, local produce for the week.
This week one of the veggies we got was okra. I love most vegetables, but I have to admit I had never had okra before this week. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it and hit up Pinterest to see what kind of recipes okra can be used in. I saw lots of soups, fritters, and deep fried recipes. We don’t really fry food and I am trying to focus on healthy eating to keep up with breastfeeding and losing baby weight. Still, crispy, fried okra seemed so appealing…
Instead of frying the okra, I decided to do a simple coating and bake it in the oven. Eggs and cornmeal help make a super crunchy, crisp crust that gives the texture of a deep fried food without all of the fat and grease. I don’t know about you, but I am all about dips. I can’t eat a crunchy baked or fried treat without some sort of dipping sauce. In the spirit of keeping this recipe healthy I made a creamy dipping sauce out of Greek yogurt and sriracha. So simple, but SO good. You will want to dip everything in it…seriously. I made the dip again the next day for some baked chicken that we had for dinner.
So the verdict on okra…when I sliced into I was kind of freaked out. There are weird, white seed type things and it was kind of slimy inside. BUT once I coated it in a cornmeal crust and baked it up…delicious! The okra became soft and has a mild flavor and the coating got super crunchy. I think this is the perfect way to eat okra and sneak in some veggies while feeling like you are having an indulgent appetizer.
Have you had okra? What do you think of it?
Have an excellent week! I plan to just keep snuggling up my baby before I have to go back to work in a couple of weeks…insert hours of tears here…but we won’t talk about that right now!
- 1½ cups sliced okra (about 6 small to medium okra)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice okra into ¼ inch pieces.
- Combine cornmeal, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl or shallow dish.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg.
- Dip okra pieces in egg and shake off excess.
- Place the egg coated okra into the cornmeal mixture.
- Arrange the coated okra into a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, flipping okra pieces halfway.
- While the okra is baking make the dipping sauce by combining yogurt and sriracha.
- While okra is still warm sprinkle with a little bit of salt and enjoy immediately.