Chocolate and peanut butter. Peanut butter and chocolate. Chocolate peanut butter…yup that’s a thing too these days! Any way you look at it, you really can’t go wrong with this combo. Besides that these flavors go perfectly together, I think it’s something about the combo of salty and sweet. In any case, if you are like me, sometimes you just get a sweet tooth that you can’t shake. When this happens to me I don’t want to go all out and face plant into a pint of Ben and Jerry’s. Ok, actually I do want to, but I know better. Usually just a little something takes care of my craving for sweets. Rather than relying on heavily processed candies and treats that are loaded with fat, sugar, and additives I like to make my own treats to have on hand for when a sweet tooth hits.
These peanut butter cups are SO simple and easy to make…only 3 ingredients and 1 of them is water. You can use any chocolate you like. I prefer dark chocolate and I used a dairy free kind for this recipe. You can customize this to whatever chocolate you like. The peanut butter filling is made from PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter. PB2 is made from peanuts but some of the fat has been removed. You still get some healthy fats and protein without overdoing it. One of these little cups is super satisfying and you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging.
And this mama needs chocolate. I swear…every time Brandon has to be out of town everything goes to hell. Let’s see…the last time he was gone for a few days Oliver was having issues and had to wear a cone on his head all weekend and take a million medications. Between a sick, needy, cone of shame dog and a newborn I nearly lost my mind. Fast forward to him needing to leave for a bachelor party for his brother in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (where there is NO cell service) I have a baby that cried inconsolably for an entire day…brought her to the pediatrician…still not quite sure what was up, but let’s just say a little slice of chocolate peanut butter goodness does help me maintain some sanity.
I hope you enjoy the weekend! Summer is winding down quickly…I can’t even get started on this or I will be a crying hormonal mess like usual. When are these hormones getting back to normal anyway?? I am going to spend my weekend getting some things ready for when I go back to work and snuggling up my little girl.
- 1½ cups dairy free dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- 1 cup peanut butter powder (I used PB2)
- ½ cup water
- Combine peanut butter powder and water in a bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Add chocolate chips to a small pot and heat on low.
- Stir the chocolate frequently until it is completely melted.
- Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners. You will get about 20 peanut butter cups.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of chocolate into the bottom of each muffin liner or just enough to coat the bottom with a thin layer.
- Add a little scoop of the peanut butter to each cup. It will be about 1.5 - 2 tsp per cup.
- Drizzle chocolate over the top of the peanut butter to make the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set the chocolate.
- Store in the freezer or refrigerator to prevent them from melting.