Hello friends! I hope you had a good week and got some time to kick back and relax this weekend. We are all good in my household. It was a kind of crazy stressful week at work for me and Brandon was out of state for his job. The week flew by but I am so happy to have Brandon home. We spent the weekend getting caught up around the house, running errands, and enjoying the beautiful weather. I can’t believe how nice it still is this late into the fall.
I haven’t been doing a ton of baking lately. It is hard to find time to experiment and test recipes with a busy little baby around…plus, you guys know me, my patience for experimenting is not always there. However, I recently had the opportunity to sample some products from Nuts.com which got me back into the kitchen playing around with recipes. Cooking and baking haven’t been as much of a priority lately because most of my focus is on my sweet little Rowan. When I have some free time though, it is still one of the things that I love to do most.
These Banana Bread Bars are super healthy. They are packed with protein from garbanzo beans, fiber from coconut flour, and healthy fats from walnuts! They also have bananas, eggs, a bit of chocolate, and are naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. These bars do have a bit of a different texture than you may be used to if you haven’t baked with beans before. They are dense, slightly sweet, and full of flavor.
For this recipe I used black walnuts from Nuts.com. If you aren’t familiar with Nuts.com it is a website that has a huge variety of nuts, snacks, baking supplies, and gifts. You could spend quite a while browsing their huge selection of products! Black walnuts have a deeper flavor than traditional walnuts, are full of healthy fats, and have more protein per ounce than any other tree nut.
I hope you have a great week and maybe even sneak some time in to bake up a healthy treat!
- 1 can low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients (except for the walnuts and chocolate chips) to a food processor and blend until it is a smooth, combined mixture.
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chips (reserve 1-2 tsp each for topping) to the processor and pulse into the batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining walnuts and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bars are set.