Hello! As I sit here at my computer with a delicious recipe to share I am struggling with what to write a post about. My recipes and what I blab about here are not typically related. Usually I sit down and my fingers fly across the keyboard and boom…I have poured my heart out about my mushy motherhood thoughts, a story, my latest obsession, or how life in general is going. Right at this moment I am drawing a blank. I think I have some insight as to why that is…
Becoming a mom has really helped me to learn to stop and live in the moment. I have had to let go of a lot of my Type-A, plan everything ahead, and try to control every detail tendencies because they just don’t fit with the type of mom I am or want to be. Not to say I never get distracted, but for the most part my time with Rowan is my time with Rowan. I try not to let anything else interfere and I am just in each moment; experiencing it, loving it, and trying my hardest to imprint every single thing she does into my memory. While this sounds beautiful and lovely (and it truly is) I feel like I have turned into a complete, fly by the seat of my pants, scatter brain sometimes. All of this living in the moment keeps me from stopping to look at the big picture a lot. Hence the drawing a blank as I write to you today. Instead of giving you my million random thoughts of the moment I am going to get right to this awesome new recipe!
This Butternut Squash Spinach and Goat Cheese Pie is SO good. Roasted squash. Garlicky spinach. Whipped goat cheese. Tender crust.
I think I have made a pie crust once in my life. I have no patience for things like that, BUT using the All-Purpose Bread Mix from my friends at Chebe a delicious crust can be made in no time. No cutting in butter. No fuss. Minimal mess.
This pie is perfect for lunch or a light dinner. I would suggest pairing it with a mixed green salad. Yum!!
Besides being so tasty I think it is just beautiful to look at.
I hope you have a great rest of the week!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 large eggs (at room temp)
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes (approx. ½ in.)
- 4 oz. goat cheese at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Place on a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 30 minutes until the squash is tender and starting to brown slightly.
- While the squash is roasting combine room temperature goat cheese and 2 eggs in a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat on high for about 1 minute. The mixture will become pale yellow, fluffy, and will be starting to form small air bubbles.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining tbsp of olive oil on medium heat and add in garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant then add the spinach. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the bread mix according to package directions (Omit the optional step of adding cheese to the dough).
- Roll out the dough into a large circle (9-10 inches). Start by rolling it between sheets of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Place the dough into a 9-9.5 inch glass pie plate and press down. Crimp the edges.
- Let the squash cool slightly.
- Toss the squash and spinach in the goat cheese mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the pie shell.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375°.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Chebe. All images, recipes, and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Gluten Free Jess possible.