Saucy chicken and gooey, melty provolone cheese make an easy and satisfying meal. My Slow Cooker Chicken Marinara Sandwiches are just the thing you need to survive a hectic weeknight or a weekend where you don’t want to spend lots of time in the kitchen.
I say it every post…it has been forever! But guess what?? Summer break is almost here! 11 more school days for this teacher, but who’s counting? Really, I do love my job, but as most of you know I work with incredibly challenging kids. I am an EBD teacher, meaning I work with kids who have significant emotional and behavioral needs. The end of the school year seems to cause a lot of anxiety, lack of structure, and stress. Needless to say work has been nuts.
Whenever I am not running around, wrangling up middle schoolers, I am completely consumed by my amazingly beautiful, growing by the second daughter. I am so thankful for summer break. For a few months I can pretend that my dream of being a stay at home mom is a reality. Last summer I spent my break awaiting Rowan’s arrival and the rest was pretty much in the survival mode that happens when you are parenting a newborn. This summer will be so different. Going to the park. Playing in the grass. Swimming. Just watching her continue to grow.
Summer break and crazy teacher life aside, I want to share this new, super simple recipe with you! These sandwiches are so yummy and so simple. My friends at Uncle Steve’s make dinners a breeze. I love that I don’t have to worry about the ingredients in their products. Store bought tomato sauce can be full of sugar, preservatives, and ingredients that we don’t need to be eating. Their sauces are organic, gluten free, paleo, and have no added sugar.
Here are the ingredients: Organic Imported Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes, Organic Fresh Onions, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Fresh Garlic, Sea Salt, Organic Fresh Basil, Organic Black Pepper.
Doesn’t get cleaner than that!
I also have a soft spot for Uncle Steve’s because when Rowan was born they sent me an AMAZING basket of their sauces and other gluten free goodies! Hard to believe that was almost 1 year ago.
Have a fabulous week!
- 1 - 20 oz package boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 chicken breasts)
- 2 cups Uncle Steve's Marinara Sauce + rest of the jar for extra sauce after cooking
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 gluten free buns
- Add chicken breasts and 2 cups of marinara sauce to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours until chicken is cooked through and falling apart (can also do on low for 4-6 hours).
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the chicken breasts.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks and then add back to the sauce.
- Depending on how much sauce you like, add the remaining sauce to the shredded chicken or use extra to top sandwiches.
- Build sandwiches by adding chicken to the bun and top with a slice of cheese.
Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored by Uncle Steves’s Italian Specialties and all text and opinions are my own. Image of Uncle Steve’s pasta sauces was provided by Uncle Steve’s. The other images are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that I love and use in my own home.